King Edward VI Five Ways School has a distinguished history in Birmingham and beyond going back to its establishment as a King Edward Foundation Grammar School in 1883 at Five Ways in the City Centre.
It has always been at the leading edge of educational progress yet conscious of its historic roots and traditions.
Today we are the largest co-educational state grammar school in the West Midlands offering able girls and boys from a wide catchment area (in and outside Birmingham) the opportunity to develop and fulfil their potential in an attractive environment, with outstanding facilities. We are in the top five co-ed grammar schools nationally and we pride ourselves on the young adults who leave us prepared academically, but more importantly, possessing the skills and confidence to take their place as adults in the 21st century.
Our Humanities Specialist status (the first Humanitiesschool in the West Midlands) will bring even more benefits and opportunities in the coming years to our school
King Edward VI Five Ways School is a selective grammar school/converted academy on the southwest tip of the City and one of the eight "Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham". The Foundation dates from 1552, although its origins can be traced back two centuries earlier as a selective state grammar, all running expenses are met from state funds and so parents pay no fees. in addition, the King Edward Foundation contributes generous sums to help maintain the buildings and make improvements). In September 2004, we became a Specialist Humanities School and in 2008 took on a second Specialism in Science, although today specialisms are no longer funded by government.